1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners
4 January 2015 - the Loncon 3 Artist Showcase is now available to download in PDF format.
1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners
14 August 2014 - Loncon 3 is delighted to announce the 1939 Retro Hugo Award winners.
Record Hugo Participation
7 August 2014 - Loncon 3 is proud to announce that it received 3,587 valid ballots for the 2014 Hugo Awards. More details here.
Cosmonaut at Loncon 3
Programme now available
24 July 2014 - The schedule is now available through our programme guides here.
Hugo Ceremony Hosts announced
17 July 2014 - The 2014 Hugo Ceremony will be hosted by leading science fiction and fantasy authors Justina Robson and Geoff Ryman. More details here
Fantastic partnership with BFI
17 July 2014 - Loncon 3 has joined forces with the British Film Institute to celebrate the UK's long heritage of science fiction and the fantastic on television. More details here
08 July 2014 - LAST CALL: all requests for accessible accomodation must be received no later than midnight Thursday 10 July. More details here
PEN/H G Wells lecture
08 July 2014 - Audrey Niffenegger will give the first PEN / H G Wells lecture at Loncon 3. More details here
06 July 2014 - We're offering a service for booking mobility scooters. More details here
Theatre programme announced
04 July 2014 - We have released full details of our exciting theatre programme. Full details here
Childcare at Loncon 3
Progress Report 4 Now Available
02 July 2014 - Download your electronic copy of our last Progress Report here. Full of essential information for getting to and enjoying the convention.
02 July 2014 - We have a number of specific tasks for which we're seeking volunteers. In most cases no prior experience is needed and it's a great way to meet people and be a part of Loncon 3. Details here
1939 Retro Hugo Voter Packet
01 July 2014 - The 1939 Retro Hugo Voter Packet is now available
20 June 2014 - For a taste of Loncon 3 at a low price, we are offering a limited number of Hall passes for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
15 June 2014 - We are today sending emails to all our programme participants with a first draft of their schedules. It's going to be an amazing programme!
Membership rates to increase on 14 July
10 June 2014 - Loncon 3 membership rates will rise on 14 July: Adult rates increase to £135 (US$225); family rates become £300 (US$500); all other attending rates also rise. Join now to beat the increase! Full details here
Additions to 2014 Hugo Voter Packet
10 June 2014 - The voter packet has been updated to include new material in the following categories: Fan Artist, Related Work, Short Story, Novelette and Novella. Members can download the packet here.
Hugo Voting Now Open
Worldcon Philharmonic Orchestra
03 June 2014 - The highlight of Loncon 3's music programme will be a concert by the Worldcon Philharmonic Orchestra
Masquerade and costumes at Loncon 3
03 June 2014 - If you love costumes and costuming, check out our new information about the Masquerade and Hall Costumes at Loncon 3. You can register today! More details
Press Passes and Press Credentials
Loncon 3 will actively support members of the press and writers for online media who are covering the convention before, during, and after the event. We aim to provide information about this convention specifically, and about Worldcon, science fiction conventions, and the science fiction and fantasy genre in general.
Loncon 3 will offer a range of services to assist members of the press during the event.
- Kick-off Press Conference on Thursday 14 August - an opportunity to meet some of the guests and the chair of Loncon.
- Press Credentials - a ribbon which identifies the individual as a member of the press.
- Press Office - the press office will be staffed throughout the convention and available to provide information and support to press attendees.
- Media Kit - available from the press office, the media kit will provide background information and approved images for use in media coverage.
- Tours and Interviews - the press can arrange interviews upon request and guided tours. Interviews with key convention staff can also be facilitated.
- Preferred Seating - reserved seating for Opening Ceremonies (Thursday afternoon, 14 August), the Retro-Hugo Ceremony (Thursday evening, 14 August), the Masquerade (Saturday evening, 16 August) and the Hugo Award Ceremony (Sunday evening, 17 August). Note that the reserved seating capacity is limited.
Our website is also recommended as a rich source of information about the convention.
Loncon 3 can also be found on social media; our Facebook page is www.facebook.com/londonin2014 and our official Twitter account is @Loncon3. Our standard hashtags are #Loncon3 and (for the Hugo Awards only) #hugoawards.
Loncon 3 press releases are available from the media centre. To be added to the distribution list and receive future releases by email, please contact the press team at media@Loncon3.org. The press release for the 2014 Hugo Award winners will be electronically distributed to all distribution list members as soon as the Hugo Award ceremony concludes on Sunday 17 August 2014.
Press Credentials and Press Passes
A Press Pass is a complimentary admission to the convention that includes the right to attend the convention (typically for a limited time). Press Passes are given to working press staff (see below) to allow them to access and move around the convention site. Press Passes do not include any WSFS membership rights. Anyone qualifying for a Press Pass automatically gets Press Credentials.
Press Credentials are given to regular (paying) convention members who are covering the convention for the press or online media as part of their attendance.
All members of the press are welcome to make use of the press services described
above. The only distinction of a Press Pass is the complimentary
Press Pass Eligibility
Press Passes are available solely for working press staff - defined as individuals employed by recognized media outlets such as television and radio stations, newspapers, and other forms of news coverage, who are on assignment from those outlets and who would not otherwise be attending the convention if their jobs did not require it. Working press staff includes immediate supporting and technical staff such as producers, photographers, camera operators, and sound personnel.
Press Passes are not issued to persons who are attending the convention in a personal capacity. Worldcon has a long tradition that all members of our community - fans, professionals, staff, and programme participants (save only our Guests of Honor) - pay for their memberships. Someone who is a member of the convention staff or who has accepted an invitation to be a programme participant is presumed to be attending the convention primarily in their personal capacity, not as a member of the working press. Similarly, staff from genre press publications and fannish news sources such as fanzines and web sites are not working press for the purposes of this policy and are expected to purchase a membership.
Contact and Queries
For pre-con information and queries, contact the Loncon 3 Press Office at media@Loncon3.org.
For support at the convention, there will be a Press Office in the ExCeL centre.
Privacy, Photography, and Electronic Recording
These rules (based on our general Code of Conduct) apply to all Loncon 3 members as well as members of the professional press.
- Loncon 3 members should be aware that photographs, video, and audio recordings occur during the convention, and that their likenesses may appear in these recordings. Attendees and members agree to assign without compensation the use of their likenesses for the use of promotion material.
- Loncon 3 welcomes members of the press to all events. All journalists, media photographers, and any other members of the press are required to display an official Loncon 3 Press Badge or be accompanied by a Loncon 3 staff member at all times. Press Passes and Press Credentials are issued at the discretion of the convention.
- Members should be polite and ask before taking photographs or recordings of members and attendees whenever possible. Photography and audio/video recordings for personal archival use is generally acceptable, unless an individual makes it clear that they do not wish to be photographed or recorded, in which case it becomes expressly forbidden.
- The usage of photographic or recording devices is prohibited in certain areas of the convention including the Film Festival, Art Show, and Art Auction. Where allowed, please take photographs before or after a programme item or event to avoid distracting panellists and audience members.